Are you looking for a destination that will captivate you with its stunning scenery, fascinating history and diverse culture? If so, you might want to consider visiting Myanmar in 2023. Myanmar is a country that has a lot to offer to travelers who want to discover its hidden gems and experience its authentic charm.
One of the places that you should not miss in Myanmar is Bagan, the ancient capital of the Pagan Kingdom. Bagan is home to over 2,000 temples and pagodas, dating back to the 9th to 13th centuries. You can marvel at the architectural and artistic wonders of these monuments, and enjoy the breathtaking views of the sunrise and sunset over the plain. You can also explore the area by bike, horse cart or hot air balloon, and immerse yourself in the culture and history of Bagan.
In this article, we will show you some of the best places to visit in Myanmar in 2023, and what makes them so special.
Best place to visit in Myanmar 2023
Myanmar is an incredible country with a rich cultural heritage and diverse landscapes. In 2023, some of the best places to visit include:
- Bagan: Famous for its ancient temples and pagodas, Bagan is a must-visit. Watching the sunrise or sunset over the plains dotted with these historic structures is an unforgettable experience.
- Yangon: The former capital city boasts the stunning Shwedagon Pagoda, bustling markets, and colonial architecture. Don’t miss the vibrant street food scene here.
- Inle Lake: Known for its scenic beauty, floating gardens, and unique leg-rowing fishermen, Inle Lake offers a serene experience amidst beautiful landscapes.
- Mandalay: A city steeped in history, Mandalay is home to the Mandalay Palace, numerous monasteries, and the famous U Bein Bridge, perfect for sunset views.
- Hsipaw: For those seeking off-the-beaten-path experiences, Hsipaw in the Shan State offers trekking opportunities, authentic local culture, and beautiful scenery.
- Ngapali Beach: If relaxation is on your agenda, head to Ngapali Beach for its pristine sands, clear waters, and laid-back atmosphere.
Top 20 Tourist Attractions Centers in Myanmar
Here’s a list of the top 20 tourist attractions in Myanmar:
- Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon
- Bagan Archaeological Zone
- Inle Lake
- Mandalay Hill
- Golden Rock (Kyaiktiyo Pagoda)
- Mahamuni Buddha Temple, Mandalay
- U Bein Bridge, Amarapura
- Yangon Colonial Architecture
- Mount Popa
- Mingun Pahtodawgyi, Mandalay
- Ananda Temple, Bagan
- Shwenandaw Monastery, Mandalay
- Hpa-An and its limestone caves
- Irrawaddy River Cruises
- Sule Pagoda, Yangon
- Kakku Pagodas
- Ngapali Beach
- Pindaya Caves
- Mrauk U Archaeological Zone
- National Kandawgyi Botanical Gardens, Pyin Oo Lwin
Which city is the most visited in Myanmar?
The most visited city in Myanmar is usually Yangon (formerly known as Rangoon). It serves as the country’s commercial hub and is home to the iconic Shwedagon Pagoda, a major draw for tourists and pilgrims alike.
What is the famous of Myanmar?
Myanmar is famous for several things:
- Rich Cultural Heritage: It boasts a wealth of ancient temples, pagodas, and historical sites like Bagan, Mandalay, and the Shwedagon Pagoda, showcasing the country’s deep-rooted cultural history.
- Natural Beauty: From the tranquil Inle Lake with its floating gardens to pristine beaches along the coast, Myanmar offers diverse and stunning natural landscapes.
- Burmese Cuisine: The unique and flavorful Burmese cuisine, with its diverse influences from neighboring countries, is renowned for dishes like Mohinga (a fish-based noodle soup) and tea leaf salad, attracting food enthusiasts.
What are three things you can do in Myanmar?
In Myanmar, you can:
- Explore Ancient Temples: Visit the ancient city of Bagan to witness thousands of well-preserved temples and pagodas, especially during sunrise or sunset hot air balloon rides.
- Discover Inle Lake: Experience the unique lifestyle of the Intha people, explore floating gardens, traditional villages, and witness the iconic leg-rowing fishermen.
- Visit Shwedagon Pagoda: This iconic golden stupa in Yangon is a significant religious site, adorned with gold leaf and diamonds, and attracts both pilgrims and tourists alike.
What are Myanmar’s Big Four destinations?
Myanmar’s Big Four destinations are typically:
- Bagan: Known for its vast archaeological site with thousands of ancient temples and pagodas.
- Yangon (formerly Rangoon): Myanmar’s largest city, home to the Shwedagon Pagoda and colonial-era architecture.
- Mandalay: Cultural and historical hub, featuring the Mandalay Palace, the U Bein Bridge, and nearby ancient cities.
- Inle Lake: Offers a serene setting with floating gardens, stilt-house villages, and unique leg-rowing fishermen.
What is the most famous landmark in Myanmar?
Why do tourists visit Myanmar?
Tourists visit Myanmar for various reasons:
- Cultural Heritage: Myanmar boasts rich cultural heritage, including ancient temples like Bagan’s pagodas and the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon.
- Natural Beauty: The country offers stunning landscapes, from the serene Inle Lake to pristine beaches along the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea.
- Unique Experiences: Travelers seek authentic experiences, such as exploring local markets, interacting with diverse ethnic groups, and witnessing traditional festivals and ceremonies.
- Historical Sites: Myanmar is home to historical sites like Mandalay’s royal palace, colonial architecture in Yangon, and the ancient cities of Bagan and Mrauk U.
What is Myanmar currency called?
The currency of Myanmar is called the Myanmar kyat (MMK).
Which part of Myanmar do most people live in?
Most people in Myanmar live in the central regions, including the Irrawaddy River valley and the areas surrounding Yangon and Mandalay.