Are you considering working in the beautiful island nation of Seychelles in 2023? If so, you may be wondering about the requirements, costs, and process involved in obtaining a work permit. This article aims to provide you with a detailed overview of the Seychelles work permit application process, including information on eligibility criteria, application forms, processing times, and more.
In order to work legally in Seychelles, foreign nationals are generally required to obtain a work permit. However, the specific requirements and processes associated with obtaining a work permit can vary depending on the nature of your employment, duration of stay, and other factors. Whether you are planning to relocate to Seychelles for a short-term job opportunity or considering a long-term career move, understanding the intricacies of the work permit application process is essential
By addressing common questions, providing key details, and offering insights into the costs, eligibility criteria, application forms, and processing times, you will be equipped with the necessary knowledge to embark on your work journey to Seychelles in 2023. So, let’s dive in and discover everything you need to know about obtaining a work permit in Seychelles.
Seychelles work permit requirements 2023
You will require a work visa if, as a foreign national, you wish to work in Seychelles in 2023. Depending on a number of variables, including the length of your stay, the kind of work you’ll be doing, and other pertinent criteria, the requirements for a work permit in Seychelles may change. The following general requirements must be satisfied in order to submit an application for a Seychelles work permit in 2023
- You should possess the necessary educational and/or professional qualifications for the job you are applying for.
- You should have relevant work experience in the field you wish to work in.
- You should not be taking away job opportunities from local Seychellois workers by applying for a job that could be filled by them.
- You should undergo a medical examination to prove that you are free from any contagious diseases.
- You should have a valid passport and other relevant travel documents.
You can also be asked to show proof of your income and capacity to sustain yourself while residing in the Seychelles. In general, your unique situation and the kind of job you intend to do will determine whether you fit the requirements for a Seychelles work permit in 2023.
Cost of Seychelles work permit
Typically, the fees for work permits in Seychelles can range from several hundred to several thousand Seychellois Rupees (SCR). The fees for a standard work permit are as follows:
- Short-term work permit (up to 3 months): Approximately SCR 5,000 to SCR 10,000.
- Temporary work permit (up to 1 year): Approximately SCR 10,000 to SCR 25,000.
- Long-term work permit (beyond 1 year): Approximately SCR 25,000 to SCR 50,000.
Eligibility criteria for Seychelles work permit
To be eligible for a Seychelles work permit, foreign nationals need to meet certain criteria, which may vary depending on the type of work permit and the specific conditions of the job. However, some general requirements for obtaining a Seychelles work permit are:
1. Valid job offer:
The applicant must have a valid job offer from an employer based in Seychelles.
2. Professional qualifications:
The applicant must have the necessary professional or educational qualifications required for performing the job.
3. Relevant work experience:
The applicant should have a proven track record of relevant work experience in the same or related field.
4. No adverse criminal record:
The applicant should not have a criminal record.
5. No threat to national security:
The applicant should not pose any threat to Seychelles’ national security.
6. Medical fitness:
The applicant must be certified as medically fit for living and working in Seychelles.
7. Adequate financial means:
The applicant must be able to demonstrate adequate financial means to support themselves while working in Seychelles.
8. No competing with local workforce:
The applicant should not be taking away job opportunities from local Seychellois workers by applying for a job that could be filled by them.
Seychelles work permit application process 2023
Seychelles work permit application process:
- Secure a Job Offer: Obtain a job offer from a Seychellois employer.
- Approval Certificate: The employer gets an approval certificate from the Ministry of Employment, Immigration, and Civil Status.
- Application Submission: Submit the Gainful Occupation Permit (GOP) application form to the Immigration Office with the required documents.
- Fees: Pay the processing fee and monthly fee for the permit.
- Approval Process: Wait for the Immigration Office’s review, which may take up to six weeks.
- Permit Collection: If approved, collect the GOP upon arrival, and apply for a resident permit within one month.
- Appeal: If rejected, appeal to the Minister of Employment, Immigration, and Civil Status within 14 days with reasons and evidence.
Where to find the Seychelles work permit application form
You can find the Seychelles work permit application form on the website of the Immigration and Civil Status Seychelles. The form is called Application for Gainful Occupation Permit and it is available for download in PDF format. You can access the form directly from this link: Application for Gainful Occupation Permit.
Alternatively, you can visit the Forms section of the website and look for the form under the category of Permits: Forms – Immigration and Civil Status Seychelles. You can also find other relevant forms and information on the website, such as the application for residence permit, visitors permit extension, students permit, etc
Processing time for Seychelles work permit
The processing time for a Seychelles work permit, also known as a Gainful Occupation Permit (GOP), varies depending on the type of permit and the purpose of work. However, some general estimates are:
- For a regular GOP, the application should be submitted at least 10 weeks before the intended start date of employment.
- For a Visitors Workcation Permit, which allows remote work in Seychelles for up to one year, the processing time is usually 4-6 weeks.
- For a variation of conditions, renewal, or extension of an existing GOP, the processing time is usually 1-5 days after submission of application.
Documents required for Seychelles work permit application
The documents required for a GOP application are:
- A completed application form
- A passport valid for at least six months
- Two passport-sized photos
- A letter of employment or proof of company ownership stating your occupation
- A copy of your contract of employment or business plan
- A medical certificate and a police clearance certificate from your country of origin
- Proof of payment of the application and processing fees
If you are applying for a Visitors Workcation Permit, which allows you to work remotely in Seychelles for up to one year, you also need to provide:
- Provisional proof of accommodation
- Proof of sufficient funds for the duration of your visit
- A provisional onward ticket (a return ticket or departure ticket from Seychelles)
Jobs in Seychelles for foreigners
Here are some job opportunities that are typically available for foreigners in Seychelles:
- Tourism and Hospitality
- Information Technology
- Scuba Diving and Water Sports
- Construction and Engineering
- Fishing and Marine Industry
- Business and Finance
- Recruitment Agencies in Australia for foreigners
- Recruitment Agencies in UK for foreigners
- Visa Sponsorship jobs in Qatar for foreigners
- Visa Sponsorship Jobs in Belarus for foreigners
- Visa Sponsorship Jobs in Italy for foreigners
- Visa Sponsorship jobs in El Salvador for foreigners
How to extend a work permit in Seychelles
The steps to extend a work permit in Seychelles are as follows:
- You need to have a Gainful Occupation Permit (GOP) that allows you to be employed or self-employed in Seychelles
- You need to submit an application for an extension of validity of the GOP or change of post titles or duties to the Immigration office, Independence House, Victoria at least one week before the expiry date of your current GOP.
- You need to pay a processing fee of SCR 1,000 and a fee for the whole duration of the permit being sought at Sr.500 per month or part thereof.
- You need to attach all the required documents as listed in the application form.
- You need to obtain an approval certificate from the Ministry of Employment, Immigration and Civil Status (MEICS) for the prospective non-Seychellois employee.
Work permit categories in Seychelles
There are different types of work permits in Seychelles, depending on the purpose and duration of work. The main categories are:
1. Gainful Occupation Permit (GOP):
The most typical sort of work visa for foreigners seeking to work as employees or independent contractors in the Seychelles is this one. A GOP entitles the holder to engage in gainful activity in Seychelles for a set amount of time, typically up to one year, renewed under certain circumstances.
At least 10 weeks before the expected start date of work, the employer or the self-employed person must file a GOP application. In order to live in the nation, a GOP holder also needs a residency permission.
2. Visitors Workcation Permit:
For foreigners who desire to work remotely in the Seychelles for up to a year, this is a unique form of work permit. With a Visitors Workcation Permit, a person can live and work in Seychelles while still retaining their employment overseas. The candidate must submit a Visitors Workcation Permit application at least 4-6 weeks prior to the desired date of trip.
A person who has a Visitors Workcation Permit does not require a resident permit, but they do need a ticket to get home and temporary documentation of their housing situation.
3. Variation of Conditions, Renewal, or Extension of GOP:
For foreign nationals who currently hold a valid GOP and wish to alter their employer, occupation, or length of stay in the Seychelles, this sort of work permit is available. The employer or the self-employed person must submit a variation of conditions, renewal, or extension of GOP application at least 1–5 days following application submission.
No new resident permit is required for an adjustment in conditions, renewal, or extension of a GOP holder, but they must update their information with the Immigration Office.
These are the main work permit categories in Seychelles.
Share this post with friends and feel free to ask any additional questions in the space below.