When making vacation plans, a lot of individuals forget to include Bulgaria in their itinerary. It frequently gets eclipsed by its more well-known neighbors, such Greece, Romania, or Turkey. However, people who disregard Bulgaria are passing up a wonderful opportunity to see a rich and varied culture, breathtaking natural beauty, and engrossing history. We will discuss some of the top Bulgarian cities to visit in 2023 in this post. You will also get to know the best time to visit Bulgaria, how much does it cost to travel in Bulgaria and lot more.
You would be mistaken if you believed Bulgaria to be a little, unimportant nation. Bulgaria, with a population of around 7 million, is really the sixteenth biggest country in Europe. Since it has been inhabited since antiquity, it has seen the rise and fall of several civilizations, including the Roman, Byzantine, Bulgar, Ottoman, and Communist ones. Bulgaria’s architecture, art, food, and customs all reflect the country’s rich and varied past, which is a reflection of its stormy past.
But history enthusiasts are not the only visitors visiting Bulgaria. Beachgoers, thrill seekers, and lovers of the natural world all flock there. The topography of Bulgaria is diverse, with plains, rivers, lakes, mountains, and a sizable stretch of coastline that fronts the Black Sea. Hiking, skiing, rafting, bicycling, and unwinding in one of the numerous spas and resorts are among the activities available. Along with being a great place to party, swim, surf, and enjoy the sun, Bulgaria also has some of Europe’s most stunning and reasonably priced beaches. Bulgaria will wow you with its attractiveness and warmth, and it has plenty to offer everyone.
Top 10 cities in Bulgaria 2023
The top cities in Bulgaria based on various factors like culture, tourism, and economic significance include:
- Veliko Tarnovo
- Stara Zagora
What is the best time to visit Bulgaria?
When to visit Bulgaria depends on your interests:
- Weather: Summers are warm (27-35°C / 80-95°F), great for beaches (June to August). Winter (Dec to Mar) is for skiing (-5 to +5°C / 23 to 41°F). Spring (Apr-May) & fall (Sep-Oct) are good for hiking and colorful scenery.
- Events: Nestinari in June (fire-walking ritual), July Morning in July (sunrise celebration), Solar Summer Festival in August (EDM), National Day on March 3rd (parades and fireworks).
- Costs: June-August is high season with higher prices, especially on the Black Sea coast. November-March is low season, cheaper but with less favorable weather. April-May & September-October are moderate in prices and weather.
What are 3 major cities in Bulgaria?
Three major cities in Bulgaria are Sofia, Plovdiv, and Varna. Sofia is the capital and largest city, with a population of about 1.2 million people. Plovdiv is the second-largest city and one of the oldest in Europe, with a history dating back to the 6th millennium BC. Varna is the third-largest city and the largest seaside resort on the Black Sea coast, with a population of about 300,000 people
What is the richest city in Bulgaria?
The richest city in Bulgaria is Sofia, which has a GDP of 51,351 million Bulgarian lev (about 26,000 million euros) as of 2019. Sofia accounts for almost half of the country’s GDP and has the highest per capita income. Sofia is also the main economic, financial, and cultural center of Bulgaria, hosting many international companies, institutions, and events
What is the most visited city in Bulgaria?
The most visited city in Bulgaria is Varna, which attracts over 2 million tourists annually. Varna is known for its golden sandy beaches, warm seawater, and vibrant nightlife. Varna also has many historical and cultural attractions, such as the Varna Archaeological Museum, the Roman Baths, the Sea Garden, and the Aladzha Monastery.
How many states in Bulgaria?
Bulgaria does not have states, but provinces. Bulgaria is divided into 28 provinces, which are the first-level administrative subdivisions of the country. The provinces are further subdivided into 265 municipalities. The provinces are named after their administrative centers, which are usually the largest and most important cities in each province.
How much does it cost to travel in Bulgaria?
The cost of travel in Bulgaria varies depending on your travel style, preferences, and destinations. However, Bulgaria is considered one of the cheapest destinations in Europe, with an average daily budget of around $68 per person. This includes accommodation, food, transportation, and entertainment.
What are the best things to do in Sofia, Bulgaria?
Sofia is the capital and the largest city of Bulgaria, with a rich history and culture. Some of the best things to do in Sofia are:
- Visit the St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral, one of the most iconic landmarks of the city. It is a stunning example of Neo-Byzantine architecture, with a gold-plated dome, colorful mosaics, and impressive frescoes. You can also explore the crypt, which houses a collection of religious icons.
- Explore the Sofia Central Mineral Baths, a former public bathhouse that is now a museum. The building is a beautiful example of Bulgarian Revival style, with colorful tiles, domes, and arches. The museum displays exhibits about the history and culture of bathing, as well as the mineral springs that supply the city.
- Taste the Balkan cuisine, which is influenced by various cultures and traditions. You can try dishes like shopska salad, banitsa, tarator, kebapche, musaka, and sarmi. You can also sample some of the local wines, beers, and spirits, such as rakia, mastika, and boza.
How to get to Plovdiv from Sofia by train?
To get to Plovdiv from Sofia by train, you have several options. The fastest and cheapest option is to take a direct train from Sofia Central Railway Station to Plovdiv Railway Station, which takes about 2.5 hours and costs around $4 – $7. You can find the train timetable and book your tickets online here. Alternatively, you can take a bus from Sofia Central Bus Station to Plovdiv Central Train Station Bus Stop, which takes about 2.5 hours and costs around $7 – $11. You can find the bus timetable and book your tickets online here.