Bangladesh is a country with a rich culture, history, and natural beauty. It is also a country with a growing economy, urbanization, and consumerism. As a result, shopping malls have become a popular destination for many people who want to enjoy a variety of products, services, and entertainment options under one roof. In this article, we will explore some of the top shopping malls in Bangladesh in 2023, based on their size, location, features, and customer reviews.
Shopping malls are not a new phenomenon in Bangladesh. The first modern shopping mall in the country was Bashundhara City, which opened in 2004 and became an instant attraction for the residents of Dhaka, the capital city. Since then, many other malls have been built across the country, catering to different segments of the population and offering different experiences. Some of the largest and most popular malls in Bangladesh are Jamuna Future Park, Police Plaza Concord, Mustafa Mart, Afmi Plaza, and MB Legacy Shopping Mall.
These shopping centers serve as social hubs as well as locations to unwind and shop. They provide a variety of services and amenities, including food courts, movie theaters, bowling alleys, gaming areas, art galleries, antique stores, and more. Fashion shows, concerts, exhibitions, and festivals are just a few of the events and activities they host. They are made to cater to the various likes and preferences of the clients and give them a unique shopping experience.
Best shopping malls in Bangladesh 2023
There are many shopping malls in Bangladesh, but some of the largest and most popular ones are:
1. Jamuna Future Park:
This is the largest shopping mall in Bangladesh, with a gross floor area of 30,806 m² (331,590 sq ft). It is located in Dhaka and has over 450 retail outlets, a food court, a cineplex, a bowling alley, a gaming zone, and an amusement park.
2. Bashundhara City:
This is the second largest shopping mall in Bangladesh, with a gross floor area of 17,763 m² (191,200 sq ft). It is also located in Dhaka and has over 2300 shops, a food court, a cineplex, an indoor theme park, and a gymnasium.
3. Police Plaza Concord:
This is a shopping mall in Dhaka that has over 300 shops, a food court, a cineplex, and a convention center.
4. New Market:
This is one of the oldest and most famous shopping malls in Bangladesh. It is located in Dhaka and has over 2000 shops selling various goods such as clothing, electronics, jewelry, books, and handicrafts.
5. Shimanto Square:
This is a shopping mall in Dhaka that has over 400 shops, a food court, a cineplex, and a rooftop garden.
These are some of the top shopping malls in Bangladesh.
Latest trends and brands in Bangladesh malls
Bangladesh is a fast-growing fashion retail market, with many domestic and international brands offering a variety of styles and products. Some of the latest trends and brands in Bangladesh malls are:
1. Fusion fashion:
Many Bangladeshi brands are creating unique and stylish outfits by blending traditional and Western elements. For example, Richman is a popular brand for men’s wear that combines luxury with classic style. Le Reve is another brand that offers ethnic, casual, edgy, and formal clothes inspired by contemporary global fashion trends.
2. Ethical fashion:
Some Bangladeshi brands are also focusing on ethical and sustainable fashion, by empowering rural women, using organic fabrics, and promoting local culture and crafts. Aarong is the top lifestyle retail chain in Bangladesh that sells high-quality Bengali ethnic wear and handicrafts. Noir is a niche premium brand that aims to present high-quality, high-street fashion while maintaining international standards at reasonable price points.
3. International brands:
Bangladesh is also attracting many international brands that cater to the growing demand for global fashion among Bangladeshi consumers. Some of the well-known international brands that have entered the Bangladesh market are Being Human Clothing, H&M, Zara, Uniqlo, and Levi’s. These brands offer a wide range of products, from casual to formal wear, for men, women, and kids.
4. Shopping malls:
Bangladesh has some of the largest shopping malls in South Asia, where you can find many of the above-mentioned brands and more. Some of the amazing shopping malls in Dhaka are Jamuna Future Park, Bashundhara City, Police Plaza Concord, Mustafa Mart, and Afmi Plaza. These shopping malls also have food courts, movie theatres, entertainment zones, and other facilities to make your shopping experience enjoyable.
Where to shop in Bangladesh’s
Here are some popular places to shop in the country:
- New Market: Located in the heart of Dhaka, New Market is a popular shopping destination for clothing, accessories, electronics, and more.
- Bashundhara City Shopping Complex: One of the largest shopping malls in South Asia, it houses a wide range of stores, including international brands.
- Jamuna Future Park: Another prominent mall with numerous retail outlets, a food court, and an amusement park.
- Agrabad Commercial Area: This is the business hub of Chittagong and a good place to shop for electronics, garments, and other products.
- New Market: Similar to its namesake in Dhaka, Chittagong’s New Market is great for clothing and accessories.
- Zindabazar: This bustling market in Sylhet is famous for tea, spices, and traditional Bangladeshi clothing.
- Bamboo Market: Known for its handmade bamboo and cane products, this market is a unique shopping experience in the world’s longest natural sea beach.
- Khulna City Corporation Market: A vibrant market in Khulna where you can find clothing, accessories, and fresh produce.
- Silk Showroom: Rajshahi is famous for silk, and you can find a variety of silk products in local showrooms.
6. Online Shopping
- E-commerce is growing in Bangladesh, and you can shop for various products online through websites like Daraz, AjkerDeal, and Pickaboo.
When shopping in Bangladesh, you can find traditional clothing like sarees, salwar kameez, and panjabis, as well as handicrafts, jewelry, and delicious local foods and spices. Be prepared to haggle when shopping in local markets, and always double-check the quality and authenticity of products, especially when buying expensive items or souvenirs.
Which mall has the best food court?
There are many shopping malls in Bangladesh that have food courts, but some of them might be better than others.
- Bashundhara City: This is the second largest shopping mall in Bangladesh, and it has a food court on the seventh floor that can accommodate 2,500 people. It offers a variety of cuisines, such as Chinese, Thai, Indian, Italian, and Bangladeshi. It also has a KFC outlet and a Pizza Hut outlet.
- Jamuna Future Park: This is the largest shopping mall in Bangladesh, and it has a food court on the fourth floor that can accommodate 5,000 people. It offers a range of dishes, such as biryani, kebab, burger, pizza, pasta, sushi, and ice cream. It also has a Baskin Robbins outlet and a Gloria Jean’s Coffees outlet
- Shimanto Shambhar: This is a shopping mall in Dhaka that has a food court on the ninth floor that can accommodate 1000 people. It offers various options, such as fried chicken, noodles, chaat, paratha, and juice. It also has a Nando’s outlet and a Krispy Kreme outlet.
These are some of the shopping malls that have food courts in Bangladesh.
How to enjoy shopping in Bangladesh
Shopping in Bangladesh can be a fun and rewarding experience, as there are many options to choose from, such as shopping malls, markets, art galleries, and specialty shops. Here are some tips on how to enjoy shopping in Bangladesh:
1. Plan your budget and itinerary.
Bangladesh is a relatively affordable country to shop in, but you may want to set a limit on how much you want to spend and what you want to buy. You may also want to research the best places to shop for your interests and preferences and plan your route accordingly.
2. Bargain wisely.
In many places, especially markets and street shops, bargaining is expected and common. You may be able to get a lower price than the initial offer, but you should also be respectful and fair to the sellers. Don’t be too aggressive or rude, and don’t be afraid to walk away if you are not satisfied with the deal.
3. Explore the local culture and crafts.
Bangladesh has a rich and diverse culture, and you can find many unique and beautiful products that reflect its heritage and traditions. For example, you can shop for handloom fabrics, pottery, metal crafts, jute products, leather goods, jewelry, and more. You can also visit some of the art galleries in Bangladesh to see and buy some of the works of local artists.
4. Enjoy the food and entertainment.
Shopping in Bangladesh can also be a great opportunity to taste some of the delicious and spicy cuisine of the country, as well as experience some of the entertainment options available. Many shopping malls have food courts that offer a variety of dishes, from local specialties to international cuisines. You can also find movie theaters, bowling alleys, gaming zones, amusement parks, and more in some of the shopping centers.
5. Be safe and respectful.
Shopping in Bangladesh can be safe and enjoyable if you follow some basic precautions and etiquette. You should always keep an eye on your belongings and avoid carrying large amounts of cash or valuables. You should also dress modestly and respectfully, especially in religious or cultural places. Likewise, you should also follow the local customs and laws, such as not smoking in public places or not taking photos without permission.
If you have any queries or comments, kindly type them in the space below. Share this article with others.