Are you planning to visit Burkina Faso soon? Do you love shopping and exploring different cultures and products? Do you want to know the best places to shop in this West African country? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this article is for you.
Burkina Faso is a landlocked country that is rich in history, art, and natural beauty. It has a vibrant and diverse culture that reflects its many ethnic groups and languages. One of the best ways to experience this culture is by visiting its shopping centers, where you can find everything from traditional handicrafts to modern fashion.
In this article, we will introduce you to the top shopping malls in Burkina Faso in 2023. We will also give you some tips on what to buy, how to bargain, and how to enjoy your shopping experience in Burkina Faso.
What are the best shopping malls in Burkina Faso?
Some of the best shopping malls in Burkina Faso are:
This is a place where you can find a wide variety of arts and crafts from different ethnic groups and regions of Burkina Faso. You can see how the artisans make their products, such as leatherwork, metal casting, fabric dyeing, musical instruments, wood carving, and weaving. You can also buy souvenirs and gifts at reasonable prices.
2. Ma Copine Femmes & Créativité:
This is a shop that sells contemporary artisanal products made by women from all over Burkina Faso. You can find beautiful items such as jewelry, bags, scarves, baskets, and home decor. The shop also supports local women’s empowerment and social development projects.
3. Palettes du Faso:
This is a department store that offers a range of products, such as clothing, accessories, cosmetics, electronics, and household items. You can find both local and imported brands at affordable prices. The store also has a cafeteria and a playground for children.
Where to buy traditional handicrafts in Burkina Faso?
- Village Artisanal de Ouagadougou: This artisan village in Burkina Faso offers a diverse range of traditional crafts from different regions, including leatherwork, metal casting, fabric dyeing, and more.
- Ma Copine Femmes & Créativité: A shop showcasing contemporary artisanal products made by women from Burkina Faso, including jewelry, bags, scarves, and supporting local women’s empowerment.
- Local Markets: Explore local markets in Ouagadougou and other cities for pottery, masks, textiles, and more. Bargain respectfully and engage with vendors to learn about Burkina Faso’s culture and history.
How to bargain at the Ouagadougou markets?
Bargaining at Ouagadougou markets is common and can save you money. Here are tips:
- Research prices and ask for advice from locals.
- Be polite and start with a reasonable offer (50-70% of asking price).
- Be prepared to negotiate and walk away if needed.
- Enjoy the experience; it’s a cultural interaction and should be fun for both you and the seller.
What are the most popular products in Burkina Faso?
Some of the most popular products in Burkina Faso are:
- Gems and precious metals: These include gold, silver, and diamonds. They account for 77.5% of the total exports of Burkina Faso, worth US$3.9 billion.
- Cotton: This is a major cash crop in Burkina Faso, grown by small-scale farmers. It is used for making textiles, clothing, and other products. It accounts for 9.1% of the total exports of Burkina Faso, worth $459.3 million.
- Ores, slag, and ash: These include iron ore, manganese ore, zinc ore, and copper ore. They are used for making metals and alloys. They account for 3.2% of the total exports of Burkina Faso, worth $162.7 million.
- Fruits and nuts: These include mangoes, bananas, pineapples, cashews, and peanuts. They are consumed locally and exported to other countries. They account for 2.9% of the total exports of Burkina Faso, worth $148.7 million.
- Oil seeds: These include sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and soybeans. They are used for making cooking oil, animal feed, and biodiesel. They account for 2.3% of the total exports of Burkina Faso, worth $117.5 million
How to enjoy shopping in Burkina Faso?
Shopping is one of the best ways to enjoy your visit to Burkina Faso, as you can discover the rich and diverse culture and products of this West African country. Here are some tips on how to enjoy shopping in Burkina Faso
- Explore Diverse Shopping: Discover Burkina Faso’s culture through its markets and centers like Village Artisanal de Ouagadougou, Ma Copine Femmes & Créativité, Palettes du Faso, Gafreh, and local markets.
- Bargain Respectfully: Bargain in local markets, offering 50%-70% of the asking price, and remember to be polite. Walking away is an option, but use it sparingly.
- Choose Unique Local Products: Buy authentic Burkinabe products like gems, cotton, pottery, masks, textiles, and more. Support local initiatives that empower artisans.
- Immerse in Culture: Shopping in Burkina Faso is a cultural experience. Learn about artisans, their traditions, enjoy local food, music, and connect with the people.
Be sure to share this post with others and to add your thoughts and inquiries in the box below. Enjoy your day shopping in Burkino Faso!