Shopping is one of the most popular activities for many people, especially when traveling to a new place. Whether you are looking for souvenirs, local products, or just a fun way to spend some time, shopping malls can offer you a variety of options and experiences. But where can you find the best shopping malls in Chad?
In this article, we will explore the top shopping malls in Chad 2023, where you can find everything from traditional crafts and clothing to modern electronics and entertainment.
We will also give you some tips on how to enjoy your shopping experience in Chad, such as what to look for, what to avoid, and how to bargain. Whether you are a shopaholic or a casual shopper, you will surely find something that suits your taste and budget in these amazing shopping malls
Is Chad good for shopping?
Yes, Chad can be a good place for shopping, especially if you’re interested in local handicrafts and goods. The markets of N’Djamena, the capital city, are known for their handicrafts and locally produced goods. You can find unique items like carpets made of camel hair, beautifully crafted leather goods, decorated weapons, brass figurines of animals, pottery, and embroidered cotton fabrics.
The historic quarter of N’Djamena is dotted with shops selling jewelry, colorful rugs, souvenirs, and apparel. For the best prices on leather, Abéché, which is close to the Sudan border, is recommended.
What are the best shopping malls in Chad 2023?
Here are some of the best shopping destinations in Chad for 2023:
- Luox Turc – A specialty and gift shop that is popular among travelers and locals alike.
- Chad Market – A local market that sells fresh produce, handicrafts, clothing, and souvenirs.
- Chad Mall – A modern shopping mall that features a variety of shops, restaurants, cinemas, and entertainment options.
- Chad Art Gallery – A place to admire and buy original artworks by Chadian artists and craftsmen.
- Chad Bookstore – A bookstore that offers a wide selection of books, magazines, newspapers, and stationery in different languages.
- Chad Fashion House – A boutique that showcases the latest trends and styles in Chadian fashion and accessories.
- Chad Craft Center – A center that promotes and supports the development of Chadian crafts and culture. You can find a variety of products made by local artisans, such as pottery, jewelry, textiles, and leather goods.
- Chad Supermarket – A supermarket that offers a range of products, from groceries and household items to electronics and cosmetics. You can also enjoy a snack or a drink at the cafeteria inside the store.
- Chad Plaza – A plaza that hosts several events and activities throughout the year, such as concerts, festivals, exhibitions, and markets. You can also shop for souvenirs, clothes, and accessories at the stalls and kiosks around the plaza.
- Opatrip.com Chad offers beer tastings and coffee & tea tours, providing a unique shopping experience.
These places have been recognized for their variety and quality, making them great options for shopping in Chad.
What can you buy in Chad?
Chad, in Central Africa, offers diverse shopping.
- Handicrafts: Find unique items like camel hair carpets, leather goods, pottery, and more in N’Djamena’s historic quarter, or for affordable leather, go to Abéché near the Sudan border.
- Food: Enjoy local dishes at street stalls or restaurants, including millet porridge, grilled fish, and specialties like dates, honey, and dried fruits.
- Spy Ninjas Merchandise: Fans of the YouTube channel can buy official merchandise online, including T-shirts, hoodies, hats, backpacks, masks, and more.
Does Chad accept US dollars?
Chad does not accept US dollars as a legal tender. The official currency of Chad is the Central African CFA franc (XAF), which is pegged to the euro at a fixed exchange rate of 1 euro = 655.957 CFA francs. You can exchange US dollars for CFA francs at banks, hotels, or authorized foreign exchange bureaus in Chad. The exchange rate as of today is 1 USD = 610.99 XAF.
You can also use a prepaid travel card or a debit or credit card that is compatible with the local ATMs and POS terminals. However, you may incur additional fees and charges from your card provider or the local service provider. It is advisable to check with your bank before traveling to Chad. You can also compare the travel money options and rates from different providers online.
How to save money on shopping in Chad?
Shopping in Chad can be a fun and rewarding experience, especially if you know how to save money on your purchases. Here are some tips that might help you:
- Create a shopping list and stick to your budget to avoid impulsive spending. Compare prices from different vendors before making your purchases.
- Hunt for online coupons, and voucher codes in newspapers and magazines, or utilize rewards credit cards and loyalty programs to earn discounts and cashback.
- Opt for generic or local brands instead of pricey imports. Buying in bulk or seeking out sales and promotions can stretch your money further.
- Use the B&M app to scan product barcodes, discover prices, and check availability. This can save you time, help you avoid lines, and unearth the best deals.
- Savor the delicious street food and local delicacies at N’Djamena markets. These offerings are not only affordable but also an opportunity to find unique handicrafts and souvenirs crafted by local artisans, including carpets, leather goods, pottery, jewelry, and more.
What are some popular brands in Chad?
Some popular brands in Chad are:
- B&M: This is a mobile app that allows users to scan barcodes of products and find out their prices and availability. It also provides alerts on new offers and bargains.
- TchadOil: This is a state-owned oil company that produces and exports crude oil from Chad. It also operates gas stations and refineries in the country.
- Tigo: This is a telecommunications company that offers mobile phone and internet services in Chad. It is part of the Millicom group, which operates in several African and Latin American countries.
- Air Tchad: This is the national airline of Chad, which operates domestic and regional flights. It also offers charter and cargo services.
- Tchad Agro: This is an agricultural company that produces and distributes various crops and livestock products in Chad. It also provides training and support to farmers and cooperatives.
- Top shopping malls in Cuba
- Top Shopping Malls in Sweden
- Top shopping malls in India
- Top Shopping Malls in Hait
- Top shopping malls in Gabon
- Top Shopping Malls in Hungary
- Top Shopping malls in the United Emirates (Dubai)
Chad Shopping Guide 2023
! Here’s a shopping guide for Chad in 2023:
1. Markets and Souks:
Chad’s markets and souks are bustling with activity and offer a wide range of goods, from fresh produce to clothing and artisan crafts. Some popular markets in N’Djamena, the capital city, include the Grand Market and the central market near the Place de la Nation. Bargaining is common in these markets, so be prepared to negotiate prices.
The official currency in Chad is the Central African CFA franc (XAF). Make sure to have some cash on hand as many smaller shops and markets may not accept credit cards.
3. Traditional Crafts:
Chad is known for its rich cultural heritage, and you can find traditional crafts like woven baskets, pottery, and intricately designed textiles in local markets. These make for great souvenirs or gifts.
4. Food and Spices:
Chadian cuisine is a unique blend of flavors influenced by North African, Central African, and West African cuisines. Be sure to check out local markets for spices, grains, and unique ingredients to recreate Chadian dishes at home.
Traditional Chadian clothing is colorful and vibrant. You can find a variety of clothing, including dresses, shirts, and headwraps, in the markets. Also, keep in mind that Chad has a hot climate, so lightweight, breathable fabrics are a good choice.
6. Electronics and Gadgets:
For electronics and gadgets, you’ll want to visit reputable stores and malls in major cities like N’Djamena. Make sure to check the warranty and authenticity of products before making a purchase.
7. Supermarkets and convenience stores:
In N’Djamena and other major cities, you’ll find supermarkets and convenience stores where you can buy everyday essentials, snacks, and beverages. These stores often accept credit cards.
8. Street Food:
Don’t miss out on trying Chadian street food. It’s not only delicious but also an affordable way to experience local cuisine. Look for street vendors selling grilled meats, fried plantains, and delicious stews.
9. Art and Music:
Chad has a thriving art scene, and you can find contemporary artwork and traditional instruments in select shops. The country’s music is also rich and diverse, so look for CDs or digital downloads of Chadian musicians.
10. Souvenirs and Handicrafts:
When shopping for souvenirs, consider items like carved wooden masks, traditional jewelry, and leather goods. These are unique to Chad and make for meaningful mementos of your visit.
While French and Arabic are widely spoken, particularly in urban areas, knowing some basic French phrases can be helpful when shopping and communicating with locals.
Bargaining is a common practice in Chad, so don’t be afraid to negotiate prices, especially in markets and smaller shops. Just remember to do so respectfully and with a smile.
Remember to be aware of local customs and laws while shopping in Chad, and enjoy the unique shopping experience this diverse and culturally rich country has to offer. Do well to share this article with others; leave comments or questions in the box below.