Top shopping malls in Portugal 2023! Shopping malls are more than just places to buy things. They are also spaces for socializing, entertainment, leisure, and culture. In Portugal, shopping malls have become increasingly popular and diverse, offering a wide range of services and attractions for visitors of all ages and interests. In this article, we will explore some of the top shopping malls in Portugal in 2023, based on their size, location, design, variety, and innovation.
Portugal is a nation with a contemporary, vibrant economy in addition to a rich history and culture. This diversity and inventiveness are reflected in its shopping centers, which blend traditional and modern design elements. While some malls are brand new and feature futuristic architecture, others are housed in historically significant structures or neighborhoods. While some malls include worldwide and premium brands, others sell local and regional goods. A few of the malls have unusual and distinctive features, including movie theaters, aquariums, ice rinks, museums, and art galleries.
Among the hundreds of retail malls in Portugal, we have selected ten on this list that really stand out. You will also learn which Portuguese mall is the largest, how many people visit these shopping centers each year, about the amenities and attractions at Vasco da Gama Shopping Center, and much more.
What is the biggest shopping mall in Portugal?
The biggest shopping mall in Portugal is Centro Colombo, which is located in Lisbon and has more than 340 stores, a cinema complex, a bowling center, free WiFi, and post-modern architecture. It is also one of the largest shopping malls in Europe and has a metro station inside it, making it easy to access. Centro Colombo is a popular destination for shopping, entertainment, leisure, and culture in Portugal.
List of shopping malls in Portugal 2023
Here is a list of 10 shopping malls in Portugal 2023, based on their size, location, design, variety, and innovation:
- Centro Colombo: Largest mall in Lisbon with 340+ stores, cinemas, and post-modern architecture.
- Vasco da Gama Shopping Center: Modern mall in Parque das Nações with 170+ stores and a panoramic view.
- Mercado dos Lavradores: Traditional market in Funchal, Madeira, offering local products.
- Algarve Shopping: Spacious open-air mall in Guia, Algarve, with 100+ stores and scenic views.
- Forum Aveiro: Urban shopping center in Aveiro integrated with the city’s canals.
- MAR Shopping Algarve: Innovative mall in Loulé with 200+ stores, cinemas, and outdoor leisure areas.
- Forum Madeira: Stylish mall in Funchal with a rooftop terrace and ocean views.
- Forum Algarve: Popular mall in Faro with 120+ stores and outdoor areas.
- Aqua Portimao: Outdoor-style mall in Portimao with 100+ stores and a large parking area.
- Tivoli Forum: Small boutique mall in Lisbon with luxury stores, a restaurant floor, and a 4-star hotel.
How many people visit these malls annually?
The number of people who visit these malls annually varies depending on the size, location, and popularity of each mall.
- Centro Colombo: Largest mall with 26.3 million visitors in 2021.
- Vasco da Gama Shopping Center: Modern mall with 18.9 million visitors in 2021.
- Algarve Shopping: Spacious mall with 9.5 million visitors in 2019.
- Forum Aveiro: Urban mall with 7 million visitors in 2018.
What are the best shopping malls in Lisbon?
Lisbon offers a variety of excellent shopping destinations. Here are some top shopping malls in the city:
- Centro Colombo Shopping Centre: Lisbon’s largest shopping center, with over 400 shops, a cinema, a bowling alley, and a food court. Located in the Benfica district, it’s easily accessible by metro.
- Centro Vasco da Gama: A modern shopping center with over 170 shops, a cinema, and a food court. It’s situated in Parque das Nações, offering beautiful views of the Tagus River and Vasco da Gama bridge.
- El Corte Inglés: The only branch of this famous Spanish department store in Portugal, offering a wide range of products and services, including a supermarket, cinema, and dining options. Located near Parque Eduardo VII, it’s easily reachable by metro.
- Amoreiras Shopping Center: One of Lisbon’s oldest and most prestigious shopping centers, with over 200 shops, a cinema, and a food court. Known for high-end brands and exclusive products, it’s close to Marquês de Pombal and accessible by bus.
- Armazéns do Chiado: An elegant shopping center in Lisbon’s historic Chiado district. It boasts over 50 shops, a cinema, and a food court, featuring popular Portuguese and international brands. It’s conveniently located near other attractions like the Santa Justa Elevator, Carmo Convent, and São Carlos Theater.
These are the top shopping malls in Lisbon for you to explore during your visit. Enjoy your shopping experience!
How to get to Centro Colombo by metro?
To get to Centro Colombo by metro, you can follow these steps:
- Find the nearest metro station to your location and check the map to see which line you need to take. Centro Colombo is located on the Blue Line (Linha Azul) and the closest metro station to it is Colégio Militar/Luz.
- Take the metro train that goes in the direction of Reboleira if you are coming from the south or east, or in the direction of Santa Apolónia if you are coming from the north or west.
- Get off at Colégio Militar/Luz station and exit through the main entrance. You will see Centro Colombo right in front of you, across the street.
- Cross the street and enter Centro Colombo through one of its entrances.
What are the attractions and facilities of Vasco da Gama Shopping Center?
The Vasco da Gama Shopping Center in Parque das Nações is a modern mall with:
- Over 170 stores, including international brands.
- Free Wi-Fi in the food court.
- A metro station for easy access via multiple train lines.
- A six-screen cinema complex for movie enthusiasts.
- A health club named Fitness Hut for exercise and relaxation.
- Stunning architecture by Santiago Calatrava, offers beautiful river views with glass domes and steel structures
Where can I find local and regional products in Portugal?
Local and regional products in Portugal include:
- Cheese: Over 40 types, including Serra da Estrela, Azeitão, Serpa, Nisa, and São Jorge.
- Wine: Varied options like port, madeira, vinho verde, Douro, Alentejo, and Dão.
- Olive oil: High-quality varieties from regions like Trás-os-Montes, Alentejo, Beira Interior, and Ribatejo.
- Honey: Over 600 varieties, including rosemary, lavender, heather, orange blossom, and chestnut.
- Cork: Portugal leads in cork production, used for wine stoppers, flooring, insulation, and more.
You can find these products in:
- Markets: Mercado da Ribeira, Mercado do Bolhão, Mercado dos Lavradores, and Mercado Municipal de Faro.
- Shops: Specialty shops like cheese, wine, olive oil, and honey shops, as well as general stores.
- Online: Websites like Portugal Nosso, Sabores de Portugal, Comer e Chorar Por Mais, and Portuguese Soul for easy ordering and delivery.
What are the opening hours and prices of Algarve Shopping?
Algarve Shopping is a spacious and open-air shopping mall in Guia, Algarve, with over 100 stores, a hypermarket, a cinema, and a food court. It also has a terrace with panoramic views of the countryside and the sea.
The opening hours and prices of Algarve Shopping are as follows:
1. Opening hours:
The mall is open every day from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM, except on Fridays and Saturdays when it closes at 12:00 p.m. The cinema has different opening hours depending on the day and the movie schedule. The hypermarket, the clinic, and the pharmacy also have their own opening hours.
The mall does not charge an entrance fee or parking fee. However, you may have to pay for some of the services and facilities inside the mall, such as the cinema tickets, the health club membership, or the restaurants and cafes. The prices may vary depending on the service or facility you choose.
Which shopping mall is close to the airport in Porto?
The closest shopping mall to the airport in Porto is Alameda Shopping. It is located about 11 km away from the airport and has a huge supermarket, a nice food court and lots of shops. You can find all the major brands, the latest technology, souvenirs, and gourmet products there. You can also check out other shopping malls in Porto, such as Shopping Cidade do Porto, Centro Comercial Bombarda, Galerias Palladium, and Galeria Comercial Peninsula.
What are the new and innovative shopping malls in Portugal in 2023?
In 2023, Portugal saw the opening of several innovative shopping malls, each offering a unique blend of retail, entertainment, and technology. Here are some notable ones:
- UBBO: Located in Amadora near Lisbon, UBBO is a cutting-edge shopping mall that seamlessly combines retail, leisure, and technology. It boasts a virtual reality zone, a robotic aquarium, a 3D cinema, and a smart parking system. Families can enjoy a kid zone filled with various activities and games. With more than 200 stores and 40 restaurants, UBBO offers a comprehensive shopping and entertainment experience.
- Palacio do Gelo: Nestled in Viseu, in the heart of Portugal, Palacio do Gelo is a shopping mall with a unique twist – an ice palace. Visitors can indulge in ice skating, admire ice sculptures, savor drinks at ice bars, and witness captivating ice shows. Beyond the chill, the mall also offers a spa, health club, cinema, and even accommodations with a hotel. With over 150 stores and 20 restaurants, Palacio do Gelo provides a refreshing and diverse experience.
- NorteShopping: After a major renovation and expansion in 2023, NorteShopping in Porto has transformed into one of Portugal’s largest and most modern shopping malls. It features a giant aquarium, a sky garden, a digital art gallery, and a fashion lab. Beyond shopping, visitors can enjoy a concert hall, theater, bowling alley, and even a casino. With more than 400 stores and 60 restaurants, NorteShopping offers a comprehensive and contemporary retail and entertainment experience.
Where can I buy luxury clothes and accessories in Portugal?
There are many places where you can buy luxury clothes and accessories in Portugal, depending on your preferences and budget. Some of the options are:
1. Online stores:
You can shop online from the comfort of your home and have your items delivered to your door. Some of the online stores that offer designer fashion and luxury shopping in Portugal are Luisaviaroma and Farfetch. They have a wide selection of brands, products, and styles for men, women, and kids. You can also find home and design items, beauty products, and exclusive collections.
You can visit some of the boutiques that showcase the best of Portuguese fashion and craftsmanship. Some of the boutiques that feature emerging and established brands from Portugal are ISTO in Lisbon, Scar-id in Porto, The Feeting Room in Lisbon and Porto, and Minty Square in Braga. You can find luxury everyday essentials, unique accessories, contemporary designs, and sustainable fashion.
3. Shopping malls:
You can enjoy a day of shopping and entertainment at some of the shopping malls that offer a variety of products, services, and attractions. Some of the shopping malls that have luxury stores and innovative features are UBBO in Amadora, Palacio do Gelo in Viseu, NorteShopping in Porto, and Colombo in Lisbon. You can find all the major brands, the latest technology, souvenirs, and gourmet products.
Please feel free to share this article with others and ask any questions or make comments in the section below.