Japan is a country that offers a variety of shopping experiences, from traditional markets to modern malls. Whether you are looking for fashion, electronics, food, or souvenirs, you can find them all in the land of the rising sun. But what are some of the most amazing and surprising facts about shopping malls in Japan? In this article, we will introduce you to the top shopping malls in Japan in 2023 and reveal some of the secrets that make them unique and attractive.
Did you know that some shopping malls in Japan have free carts, strollers, and lockers for shoppers? Or that some malls have kids’ bathrooms, fully stocked grocery stores, and incredible restaurants with food-serving robots? These are just some of the examples of how Japanese malls cater to the needs and preferences of their customers. You will be amazed by the level of service and convenience that these malls provide.
But that’s not all. Shopping malls in Japan also offer a wide range of products, from high-end designer brands to affordable 100-yen shops. You can find almost anything you want in these malls, from clothing and accessories to household goods and gadgets. Some malls even have entertainment facilities, such as movie theaters, hotels, and video game arcades. You will never get bored or run out of options in these malls.
If you are interested in learning more about the top shopping malls in Japan in 2023, read on. We will show you the best places to shop, eat, and have fun in Japan’s shopping paradises.
Is Japan good for shopping?
Japan is an excellent option to go shopping since it has a vast selection of goods, including anything from local delicacies and traditional mementos to the newest technology and the trendiest fashion labels. From 100 yen shops to high-end fashion boutiques and department stores, you can discover both domestic and foreign brands as well as shops for every price range. Japan also boasts a large number of retail areas, each with its own distinct personality and often clustered around significant rail stations. Shopping centers, covered arcades, subterranean malls, outlet malls, and public markets are other places where you may enjoy shopping. To shop in Japan, you may select from a variety of cities and areas based on your interests and preferences.
Top shopping malls in Japan 2023
Japan is a great destination for shopping lovers, as it offers a variety of malls that cater to different tastes and budgets. Here are some of the top shopping malls in Japan in 2023, based on the web search results:
- Porta Kyoto: An underground mall that is directly under the Kyoto bus station. It has two main wings: the west wing for fashion and dining, and the east wing for food and souvenirs.
- Yaesu Shopping Mall: A large mall that is directly connected to Tokyo Station. It has over 100 shops that offer tax-free exemptions on some purchases and 60 restaurants to choose from.
- Shibuya Hikarie Mall is a modern mall that has eight floors of shopping space and two floors of restaurants and cafes. It also has a rooftop garden, a theater, and a cultural center.
- Tokyo Solamachi: A shopping, dining, and entertainment complex at the foot of the Tokyo Skytree. It has more than 300 shops and restaurants, as well as a planetarium, an aquarium, and a history garage.
- Ginza Six: A luxury shopping complex that opened in 2017 in the heart of Tokyo’s Ginza district. It has a stunning interior design, a rooftop garden, a Noh theater, and a terminal for tourist buses.
- Venus Fort Odaiba: A mall that resembles a European Renaissance town, with a fountain plaza, an olive plaza, and a church plaza. It also has a number of specialty shops, such as those for traditional Japanese toys and candy sculptures
- Mitsui Outlet Park: A shopping complex that offers discounts and deals on various brands and products. It has locations in different cities, such as Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo, and Fukuoka.
- Chitose Outlet Mall Rera: A mall that is located near the New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido. It has over 180 shops that sell local and international brands, as well as a food court and a playground.
What to buy in Japanese shopping malls
In Japanese shopping malls, you can find a wide array of items to suit your tastes and budget. Some popular and distinctive options include:
- Japanese Teas: Japan is renowned for its tea culture, offering a variety of teas like green tea, matcha, sencha, hojicha, and more. High-quality tea leaves, tea bags, sets, and accessories are readily available, along with tea-related souvenirs like teacups, teapots, whisks, and sweets.
- Japanese Clothing: Japan boasts a rich and diverse fashion scene, spanning traditional kimono and yukata to modern streetwear and cosplay outfits. You can discover clothing for all seasons and occasions, along with a selection of accessories like hats, scarves, gloves, belts, and jewelry.
- Cosmetics: Japan is known for its natural ingredient-based and technologically innovative beauty products. Shopping malls offer skincare, makeup, hair care, and bath products from various brands, as well as cosmetic tools such as brushes, mirrors, and cases.
- Chopsticks: Chopsticks are integral to Japanese cuisine and culture, and you’ll find them in various materials, colors, designs, and sizes. Additionally, you can buy chopstick holders, rests, cases, and sets.
- Japanese Art Prints: Japan has a rich artistic tradition, including painting, calligraphy, woodblock printing, and manga. Shopping malls feature art prints from famous artists like Hokusai’s “The Great Wave off Kanagawa” or Miyazaki’s “Spirited Away.” You can also explore art books, posters, stickers, postcards, and calendars.
These are just a few of the diverse offerings in Japanese shopping malls.
What are the best shopping malls in Kyoto?
There are many shopping malls in Kyoto that offer a variety of products, services, and entertainment options. Some of the best shopping malls in Kyoto are:
1. Kyoto Station Building:
This is a modern and impressive building that houses not only the main railway station of Kyoto but also a large shopping area with over 200 shops and restaurants. You can find everything from fashion and electronics to souvenirs and local specialties. The building also has a hotel, a movie theater, and a rooftop garden with a panoramic view of the city.
2. Aeon Mall Kyoto:
This is a spacious and family-friendly mall that has more than 65 shops selling clothing, accessories, food, and necessities. You can enjoy the free carts, strollers, and lockers for shoppers, as well as the kids’ bathrooms, a fully stocked grocery store, and incredible restaurants with food-serving robots. The mall also has a train store, a train restaurant, and a large arcade area for kids.
This is an underground shopping mall that is directly connected to Kyoto Station. It has over 100 shops and restaurants that offer a wide range of products and cuisines. You can find affordable and quality items such as clothing, accessories, cosmetics, books, and stationery. The mall also has a food court with various options, such as sushi, ramen, curry, pizza, and burgers
How do I get a tax-free exemption at Yaesu Shopping Mall?
Some of their shops offer tax exemptions on purchases made by visitors from overseas. You can refer to the “TAX FREE” icons on the map to locate these shops. To get the tax-free exemption, you need to meet the following conditions:
- You are a non-resident of Japan, meaning you have been in Japan for less than six months, and you have an entry stamp on your passport.
- You purchase at least 5,000 yen worth of general goods (such as clothing, accessories, electronics, etc.) or consumable goods (such as food, cosmetics, medicines, etc.) at the same store on the same day.
- You present your original passport and receipt to the tax refund counter on the same day of purchase. Not only that, but you cannot use a photocopy of your passport or an ID card instead.
- You agree to carry the purchased goods out of Japan within 30 days of purchase.
If you meet these conditions, you can receive a refund of 8% or 10% of the consumption tax, depending on the type of goods. However, there is a 1.1% handling fee for general goods and a 1.8% handling fee for consumable goods, so the actual refund amount will be slightly lower.
What are the refrigerated lockers at Shibuya Hikarie Mall for?
The refrigerated lockers at Shibuya Hikarie Mall are for storing food items that need to be kept cold or frozen. They are located in the basement of Shibuya Mark City, which is connected to Shibuya Hikarie Mall by an underground passage. The refrigerated lockers are available in two sizes: small (300 yen) and large (500 yen). They can store items at either 5°C or -18°C, depending on the user’s preference. The refrigerated lockers are convenient for shoppers who want to buy fresh or frozen food from the mall’s grocery store or restaurants and keep it in good condition until they go home. They are also useful for travelers who want to store their food souvenirs or snacks without worrying about spoilage
What are the attractions near Tokyo Solamachi?
Tokyo Solamachi, located at the base of the iconic Tokyo Skytree, is a vibrant complex encompassing over 300 shops and eateries. This multifaceted destination merits a visit in its own right, regardless of Skytree’s impressive stature. Nearby attractions include:
- Sengokudama Tenshoki Tokyo Skytree Town Solamachi: A store specializing in traditional Japanese toys and crafts, offering engaging demonstrations and hands-on opportunities to create items like spinning tops, dolls, and origami.
- Konica Minolta Planetarium Tenku: A planetarium presenting diverse programs that allow visitors to immerse themselves in the wonders of the starry sky, featuring options like music, aromatherapy, and projection mapping. It also provides comfortable seating and hammocks for relaxation.
- Asakusa Amezaiku Ameshin Tokyo Skytree Town Solamachi: A shop where skilled artisans craft intricate amezaiku, candy sculptures made by hand using scissors and tweezers. Visitors can observe the creation of charming shapes, including animals, flowers, and characters.
- Tokyo Skytree: Japan’s tallest structure and the world’s second-tallest at 634 meters. Guests can savor panoramic views of Tokyo from its observation decks or explore the Skytree Aquarium, Skytree Gallery, and Skytree Cafe.
- Oshinari Park: A quaint park by the Sumida River, offering a playground, a fountain, and a statue commemorating a renowned poet. It serves as a tranquil spot to unwind and appreciate the beauty of cherry blossoms during spring.
What are the unique features of Ginza Six?
Ginza Six is a luxury shopping complex that opened in 2017 in the heart of Tokyo’s Ginza district. It is the largest retail space in Ginza and offers a variety of unique features, such as:
- A meticulous interior design by French designer Gwenael Nicolas features a majestic central atrium where marvelous artworks by famous artists are suspended for temporary exhibitions.
- A 4,000-square-meter rooftop garden, called Ginza Six Garden, provides a green oasis and a quiet break in the open air.
- A 480-seater Noh theater, the first of its kind in Ginza, showcases traditional Japanese performing arts and culture.
- A terminal for tourist buses, a tourist information center, currency exchanges, and duty exemption services that cater to tourists.
- A wide range of shopping possibilities, including flagship facilities for some of the most renowned Japanese and international fashion brands, as well as Japanese crafts stores.
What are the discounts and deals at Mitsui Outlet Park?
Mitsui Outlet Park is a shopping complex that offers discounts and deals on various brands and products. Some of the discounts and deals that you can find at Mitsui Outlet Park are:
- Up to 70% daily discounts at factory outlets of sportswear brands such as Nike, Adidas, and Puma.
- Free RM5 E-Voucher and 300 Welcome Points when you sign up for the Mitsui Outlet Park KLIA Sepang membership
- Seasonal promotions and events, such as festive decor, freebies, and photo spots during Chinese New Year, Hari Raya, and Christmas.
- Tax-free shopping for tourists at selected stores
- Free shuttle bus service from KLIA and KLIA2 to Mitsui Outlet Park, KLIA Sepang
How to find the best deals and discounts in Japanese shopping malls
If you are looking for the best deals and discounts in Japanese shopping malls, you might want to consider the following tips:
- Plan your shopping trip according to the annual sales seasons in Japan. The best months for shopping are January, August, and December, when most stores offer discounts on various items, from clothing to electronics and souvenirs.
- Look for tax-free shops that cater to foreign tourists. You can save money by buying from these shops without paying the consumption tax. You will need to show your passport and fill out a form at the cashier.
- Use coupons and loyalty programs to get extra savings. You can find coupons for specific shopping malls and shops on this website. You can also sign up for loyalty programs that offer points, rewards, and exclusive deals for frequent customers.
- Compare prices online before you buy. You can use web search tools to find the best prices for the products you want. You can also browse the web search results and the image search results for more information and inspiration.
If you liked this article, please share it with your friends and family on social media. You can also bookmark this site for more helpful tips and information on various topics.