Have you ever dreamed of visiting Barbados, the Caribbean paradise? If so, you might be wondering what to do and see in this beautiful island nation. Besides enjoying the stunning beaches, the rich culture, and the friendly people, there is another reason to visit Barbados: shopping. Barbados is home to more than 100 shopping malls, ranging from luxury boutiques to local crafts. In this article, I will introduce you to some of the top shopping malls in Barbados in 2023, where you can find everything from fashion to food to fun.
Barbados is a small island nation in the Caribbean, but it has a lot to offer to visitors and locals alike. One of the attractions that makes Barbados stand out is its shopping scene. You might be looking for high-end fashion, local handicrafts, or exotic cuisine, you can find it all in the many shopping malls that dot the island.
Some of the malls in Barbados are located in the capital city of Bridgetown, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a hub of culture and history. Others are situated along the scenic coastlines, offering stunning views of the ocean and the beaches. While some of the malls are also integrated with entertainment and leisure facilities, such as cinemas, restaurants, bars, and spas.
Is Barbados good for shopping?
Yes, Barbados is a great destination for shopping lovers. You can find a variety of products, from local crafts to international brands, at duty-free prices. You can also enjoy the beautiful scenery, the rich culture, and the delicious food while you shop. Here are some reasons why Barbados is good for shopping
- Over 100 shopping malls, including Limegrove Lifestyle Center, Colonnade Mall, Sky Mall, and Sheraton Mall, offer a wide range of products.
- Explore local folk crafts at places like Pelican Craft Village, Earthworks Pottery, Tides Gallery, and Gallery of Caribbean Art.
- Enjoy duty-free shopping for tourists, saving up to 50% on most items by showing your passport and plane ticket.
- Discover vibrant markets like Oistin’s Friday Night Fish Fry, Brighton Farmers Market, Cheapside Public Market, and Hastings Farmers Market.
- Find entertainment and leisure options within shopping areas, such as Limegrove Cinemas, The Spa at Sandy Lane, Rum Stop, and numerous restaurants and cafés.
What are the best shopping malls in Barbados?
There are many shopping malls in Barbados, but some of the best ones are:
- Limegrove Lifestyle Centre: A luxury mall with premium brands like Louis Vuitton and dining options, including cinemas and an art gallery.
- Sheraton Mall: The island’s largest mall, popular among locals, offering a wide variety of stores, cinemas, and a food court.
- Colonnade Mall: A historic mall on Broad Street in Bridgetown, featuring shops for jewelry, designer handbags, clothing, and various restaurants.
- Pelican Village Craft Centre: Not a traditional mall but a collection of stores and workshops selling locally crafted items like pottery, carvings, textiles, and paintings.
- The Walk Shopping Plaza Barbados: A modern mall with diverse shopping options, including a food court, hardware store, pharmacy, clothing and shoe stores, and a bank.
How to shop duty-free in Barbados?
Shopping duty-free in Barbados can help you save a lot of money on various products, such as jewellery, liquor, electronics, clothing, and more. Duty-free prices in Barbados are usually 20% to 40% cheaper than regular prices. Here are some steps on how to shop duty-free in Barbados:
- Bring your passport and plane ticket as required for duty-free purchases.
- Explore duty-free stores in various areas like Bridgetown, Holetown, and the airport, including popular ones like Limegrove Lifestyle Centre, Sheraton Mall, Colonnade Mall, and Pelican Village Craft Centre.
- Enjoy discounts on products such as jewelry, watches, perfumes, cosmetics, liquor, designer clothing, souvenirs, and local crafts.
- Most duty-free items are received immediately, while alcohol and tobacco are collected at the airport upon departure. Keep your duplicate receipt for collection.
What are the local handicrafts and souvenirs to buy in Barbados?
Barbados is a wonderful place to buy local handicrafts and souvenirs that reflect the island’s culture and beauty. Some of the local handicrafts and souvenirs that you can buy in Barbados are:
1. Local arts, crafts, and jewelry:
Unique items like paintings, pottery, carvings, textiles, leather, and jewelry created by local artists. Visit places like Pelican Village Craft Centre, Earthworks Pottery, Tides Gallery, and Gallery of Caribbean Art.
2. Bajan seasoning:
A flavorful spice blend for traditional Bajan dishes. Look for Delish Bajan Seasoning in supermarkets.
3. Tamarind balls:
Sweet and sour treats made from tamarind pulp and sugar, available in grocery stores and souvenir shops.
4. Barbados cane sugar:
Raw sugar produced from local sugar cane, perfect for tea or coffee. Sold in packets or souvenir jars at most supermarkets.
5. Bajan pepper sauce:
A beloved hot sauce made from Scotch bonnet peppers, available in various spiciness levels. Find brands like Aunt May’s in supermarkets or souvenir shops.
6. Coconut bread:
A delicious bread made from grated coconut, flour, sugar, eggs, butter, and spices. Enjoy it fresh from bakeries or pre-packaged at supermarkets.
7. Mount Gay Rum:
The world’s oldest rum brand, dating back to 1703. Available duty-free at the airport or the Mount Gay Visitor Centre.
8. Banks beer:
The national beer of Barbados, known for its light and refreshing lager. You can find it at bars, restaurants, and supermarkets on the island.
Where to find luxury boutiques and designer brands in Barbados?
If you are looking for luxury boutiques and designer brands in Barbados, you have many options to choose from. You can find some of the world’s finest brands and goods, such as Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Cartier, and more, in the various shopping malls and centres that dot the island12. Here are some of the places where you can find luxury boutiques and designer brands in Barbados:
Limegrove Lifestyle Centre: This is a luxury shopping mall that offers the world’s finest brands and goods, such as Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Cartier, and more32. You can also enjoy a movie at the luxury cinemas, dine at one of the restaurants, or browse the art gallery4.
Polo Ralph Lauren Barbados: This is a store that sells the products of Ralph Lauren Corporation, a global leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in five categories: apparel, accessories, home, fragrances, and hospitality3. You can find it at Limegrove Lifestyle Centre3.
Colonnade Mall: This is a historic mall located on Broad Street in Bridgetown. It has several shops selling jewellery, designer handbags, clothing, and more25. It also has a wide selection of restaurants2.
This is the largest mall on the island and a favorite of locals. It has a wide variety of stores, such as boutiques, bookstore, appliances, household items, shoe stores, computer store, pet store, and more. It also has a cinema complex and an extensive food court.
These are some of the places where you can find luxury boutiques and designer brands in Barbados.
What are the entertainment and leisure options in Barbados’ shopping malls?
Barbados’ shopping malls are not only great places to shop, but also to have fun and relax. You can find many entertainment and leisure options in the malls, such as cinemas, restaurants, bars, spas, and more. Here are some examples of what you can do in the malls:
- Catch a movie at Limegrove Cinemas, a luxury cinema complex offering Hollywood and Bollywood films, along with snacks and a VIP lounge.
- Pamper yourself at The Spa at Sandy Lane, a world-class spa offering massages, facials, and more, along with sauna, steam room, hydrotherapy pool, and relaxation room.
- Sip cocktails at Rum Stop, a stylish bar serving rum-based drinks and local rums, offering insights into their history and production.
- Dine at diverse restaurants and cafés, such as Relish Epicurea, known for deli-style offerings; Cin Cin by the Sea, offering Caribbean-twisted Mediterranean cuisine; or Café Sol, a Mexican grill and margarita bar.
Are things more expensive in Barbados?
The cost of living in Barbados is, on average, 11.8% higher than in the United States. This is because most things have to be imported and the standard of living is higher than most other places in the Caribbean.
Some of the things that are more expensive in Barbados are:
- Accommodation: Monthly rent for apartments and luxury hotel stays can be relatively pricey.
- Transportation: Gasoline costs and the price of new cars are higher than global averages.
- Food: Dining out and purchasing items like wine and milk tend to be more expensive.
- Clothing: Apparel items, including jeans, dresses, and shoes, can have higher price tags.
However, some aspects are more budget-friendly in Barbados:
- Alcohol: Domestic beer and rum prices are reasonable compared to other Caribbean locations.
- Attractions: Numerous free or low-cost attractions like beaches, parks, museums, and historical sites are available.
- Public transport: Monthly public transport tickets are relatively affordable, with reliable options like buses, minibuses, and taxis.
Is there high end shopping in Barbados?
Yes, there is high end shopping in Barbados. You can find some of the world’s finest brands and goods, such as Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Cartier, and more, in the various shopping malls and centres that dot the island. Some of the places where you can find high end shopping in Barbados are:
- Limegrove Lifestyle Centre: A luxury shopping mall featuring top global brands, luxury cinemas, restaurants, and an art gallery.
- Polo Ralph Lauren Barbados: Offering products from the renowned Ralph Lauren Corporation, located at Limegrove Lifestyle Centre.
- Colonnade Mall: A historic mall on Broad Street in Bridgetown, known for its shops selling jewelry, designer handbags, clothing, and a variety of restaurants.
- Sheraton Mall: The largest mall on the island, popular among locals, with a wide range of stores, a cinema complex, and an extensive food court.
Enjoy your high-end shopping experience in Barbados!
- Top Shopping malls in Hungary
- Top Shopping malls in United Emirates (Dubai)
- Top Shopping malls in Antigua and Barbuda
- Top Shopping Mall in Ghana
- Top shopping malls in Poland
- Top shopping malls in Morocco
- Top shopping malls in Iceland
- Top Shopping malls in Vietnam
What is the best money to take to Barbados?
The best money to take to Barbados is the Barbadian dollar (BBD), which is the official currency of the island. The exchange rate is fixed at 2 BBD = 1 USD. You can exchange your money at banks, hotels, or authorized dealers. You can also use your debit or credit card at ATMs or point-of-sale terminals.
However, you can also use the US dollar (USD) in Barbados, as it is widely accepted by most businesses and vendors. You will get your change in BBD, so you may want to carry some small bills or coins in BBD for convenience. Other foreign currencies, such as the British pound (GBP) or the Canadian dollar (CAD), are not as widely accepted and may incur higher fees or lower rates when exchanging.
Whether you are looking for a souvenir, a gift, or a treat for yourself, you will surely find it in one of the top shopping malls in Barbados. So, what are you waiting for? Book your trip to Barbados today and enjoy the ultimate shopping experience. Don’t forget to bookmarks and share this article with others.